Friday, April 20, 2012

Easy to Make Shoulder Bag DIY

This bag is super easy to make.

If you have basic sewing skills you should do fine with this project.


It will take you less then an hour, in fact if you cut out two at the same time,
 you might be able to make two in an hour.

They are a great gift.
I made two, one for a gift and one for me.

Don't be intimidated by all of the pictures.
I took pictures of everything so you would know exactly how to do this.

Supplies:
Thread
1 yard of fabric
1 package of double fold bias tape
or
2 packages of extra wide double fold bias tape.
You need about 4 yards of double fold bias tape total so check the package.


*I had 8 layers because I cut 2 bags out at the same time.








Here is an illustration of what to do up to this point so you can see it all in one place.


My fabric had no wrong or right side,
but make sure you are sewing on the wrong side of your fabric.

Another illustration.

Sew the corners of the bag into a triangle to give shape to the bottom.
I reinforced all of these seams by sewing them twice
and doing a zig-zag stitch on the raw edge
because I plan on using this bag to carry heavy things.


I used the thinner double fold bias tape on one bag,
 and I used thick bias tape on the other bag.

For the extra wide bias tape I used about one and a half packages. 
They are different colors, but I think it looks great.

I sewed the bias tape on using a zig-zag stitch because
I didn't want to worry about my stitching being straight.
Especially since I used black thread.
Why did I use black thread?
Because my machine was already threaded with it and I was too lazy to change it out.

Bias tape is really easy to use because it bends and flexes with your fabric.

When the bias tape is just about to meet cut it so it overlaps about an inch.
Fold the raw edge under and sew it shut.

Here is a close up of the different bias tapes I used.
I like them both. 

The first picture way back up at the top of this post is the bag using the extra wide bias tape,
the one below uses the regular bias tape.

Just in case you want to compare.


Look at how serious I am when I post a sewing tutorial.
I didn't even make any jokes.

And I'm not going to,
 because I haven't eaten breakfast and I can't be humorous on an empty stomach.

But please send me an email if you have any questions.
You can comment and I will get it or you can email me directly at
rmhouseofnoise@gmail.com


Here are the instructions so you can copy them to your desktop and print them out if you need to.
Just please do not sell them.

Thanks!






2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Hi, Rachael

Love the bag. Awesome!

Vanessa

Heather Ellsworth said...

Super cute! Thanks for sharing such great instructions!
Heather

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...